PMO OpenIR
Experiments on the dish verification antenna china for the SKA
Chai, Xiaoming1,2; Liu, Bin1,2; Yu, Lei1; Yu, Shenghua1; Wu, Di1; Liu, Lijia1
2016-12-01
Source PublicationEXPERIMENTAL ASTRONOMY
ISSN0922-6435
Volume42Issue:3Pages:301-317
Corresponding AuthorLiu, Bin(bliu@nao.cas.cn)
AbstractThe Square Kilometre Array (SKA) is expected to become the world's most powerful radio telescope at meter and centimeter wavelength in the coming decades. The construction of SKA will be divided into two phases. The first phase (SKA1), scheduled for completion in 2023, will construct 10 % of the whole collecting area. The second phase (SKA2) will build the rest 90 % collecting area. The SKA1 consists of several types of arrays including SKA1-low and SKA1-mid. The latter is a dish array consisting of similar to 200 medium-size antennas. The integrated dish array in SKA2 will expand to 2500 dishes, spreading 3000 kilometers across the southern part of Africa. The demanding specifications and enormous number of the SKA dish raise challenges in the dish development such as mass production with high performance at low cost, quick installation and high reliability. Dish Verification Antenna China (DVA-C) was built as one of three initial prototypes. A novel single-piece panel reflector made of carbon fiber reinforced polymer (CFRP) was adopted. In this study, an L-band receiver is installed to make DVA-C a complete system for experiments on antenna performance test and preliminary observations. The performance of DVA-C including the system noise temperature, pointing accuracy, antenna pattern, and aperture efficiency has been tested. Preliminary observations such as pulsars and HI are then conducted, which indicates that the DVA-C can not only serve as an educational instrument and key technology test bed, but also be applied for scientific work such as pulsar timing, all-sky HI survey, multi-frequency monitoring of variable sources etc.
KeywordSingle-piece CFRP reflector Pointing accuracy Aperture efficiency DVA-C SKA
DOI10.1007/s10686-016-9511-4
WOS KeywordSPECTRUM ; CAS
Indexed BySCI
Language英语
WOS Research AreaAstronomy & Astrophysics
WOS SubjectAstronomy & Astrophysics
WOS IDWOS:000389634500003
PublisherSPRINGER
Citation statistics
Cited Times:2[WOS]   [WOS Record]     [Related Records in WOS]
Document Type期刊论文
Identifierhttp://libir.pmo.ac.cn/handle/332002/23421
Collection中国科学院紫金山天文台
Corresponding AuthorLiu, Bin
Affiliation1.Chinese Acad Sci, Joint Lab Radio Astron Technol, Natl Astron Observ, Beijing 100012, Peoples R China
2.Chinese Acad Sci, Key Lab Radio Astron, Natl Astron Observ, Nanjing 210008, Jiangsu, Peoples R China
Recommended Citation
GB/T 7714
Chai, Xiaoming,Liu, Bin,Yu, Lei,et al. Experiments on the dish verification antenna china for the SKA[J]. EXPERIMENTAL ASTRONOMY,2016,42(3):301-317.
APA Chai, Xiaoming,Liu, Bin,Yu, Lei,Yu, Shenghua,Wu, Di,&Liu, Lijia.(2016).Experiments on the dish verification antenna china for the SKA.EXPERIMENTAL ASTRONOMY,42(3),301-317.
MLA Chai, Xiaoming,et al."Experiments on the dish verification antenna china for the SKA".EXPERIMENTAL ASTRONOMY 42.3(2016):301-317.
Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
Related Services
Recommend this item
Bookmark
Usage statistics
Export to Endnote
Google Scholar
Similar articles in Google Scholar
[Chai, Xiaoming]'s Articles
[Liu, Bin]'s Articles
[Yu, Lei]'s Articles
Baidu academic
Similar articles in Baidu academic
[Chai, Xiaoming]'s Articles
[Liu, Bin]'s Articles
[Yu, Lei]'s Articles
Bing Scholar
Similar articles in Bing Scholar
[Chai, Xiaoming]'s Articles
[Liu, Bin]'s Articles
[Yu, Lei]'s Articles
Terms of Use
No data!
Social Bookmark/Share
All comments (0)
No comment.
 

Items in the repository are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.